Big Data and Machine Learning is enabling a new generation of Situational Awareness capabilities for government and commercial organizations. By increasing sensitivity to subtle indicators, these techniques can help identify developing situations early improving operational efficiencies and responsiveness. Transforming data into actionable intelligence will help organizations see the big picture and bring clarity to complex scenarios.
Specific applications include:
- Supply chain management with increasingly resilient shipping and warehouse logistics
- Warfighter command-and-control
- Disaster management and recovery in and out of the data center
- Every-day monitoring of market influencers – for example: weather patterns likely to impact key crop yields
- Big Data and Machine Learning technologies to address large fixed and streaming data sources such as social media or IoT sensor streams
- Data fusion technologies such as the BigR.io-developed Aardvark
- Integration with traditional Business Intelligence (BI) and operational planning systems (ERP)
- Visualization for rapid awareness and action
Our team worked with a public health agency to develop the Situational and Tactical Awareness Tool for their region. This project utilized Aardvark and other technologies to aggregate near-real-time operational data from regional and state-level organizations including:
- First Responders
- Emergency Management Agency
This aggregated view allowed coordinated routing and logistics during a large-scale emergency that may otherwise have overwhelmed any single hospital and laid the groundwork for syndromic surveillance — early detection of disease outbreaks or other widespread chemical or biological contaminations.